Wednesday, August 6, 2008

White Balance Rainbows

I conducted an unexpected and unintended photography experiment last night. As Mom and Dad were leaving, we noticed a beautiful rainbow in the sky. And what do you think I had to do? That's right, I ran back inside for my camera. I used manual settings but was having the hardest time getting the shot I wanted. Only after about 10 shots did I realize my error. My white balance was still set on incandescent from the birthday cupcake photos and that made for a much bluer rainbow pic than was the reality.
Incandescent White Balance

Auto White Balance (and much more like reality)

But is it better? Guess that's an artistic judgement.

1 comment:

LC Photography said...

I like the top picture with the incandescent white balance better. Yes, it is deep in color and contrast, it makes the rainbow POP out!